Hampton Roads, VA Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been injured, our law firm has your back
Slip and fall accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere. They can result in devastating injuries both physical and emotional. While many slip and fall accidents are just that, accidents, many are also caused by the carelessness of others. When negligence is a factor, you deserve justice.
At Welch & Wright, PLLC, we handle slip and fall cases carefully and thoroughly. We’re committed to building a strong case on your behalf and pursuing the compensation you need to cover all accident-related expenses. We take pride in establishing and maintaining the attorney-client relationship. Let our Norfolk slip and fall lawyers take the lead on your case. We can get the job done right.
Understanding slip and falls
Slip and fall accidents can happen unexpectedly and are often caused by hazardous conditions on someone else’s property. Property owners have a responsibility to maintain safe conditions and can be held responsible for injuries if they fail to do so.
In legal terms, slip and fall accidents fall under the category of premises liability. Property owners have a legal obligation to maintain a safe environment for their guests and visitors. When a property owner fails to take reasonable steps to prevent slip and fall accidents, they may be held liable for any injuries that occur on their property.
However, not all slip-and-fall accidents are the fault of the property owner. In order to establish liability in a slip and fall case, it's necessary to demonstrate that the property owner was aware of the dangerous condition or should have been aware of it and failed to take action to address the hazard.
Common causes of slip and fall accidents
Slip and fall accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere. Common scenarios where slip and fall accidents may occur include:
- Poor lighting making it difficult to see hazards
- Broken or poorly maintained stairways and steps
- Spills, leaks or wet areas on floors or walkways
- Icy or wet walkways and parking lots
- Obstructions on walkways, such as debris or objects left out in the walkway
- Lack of handrails on stairways and steps
- Lack of warning signs for hazards
- Uncleared snow or ice on sidewalks, storefronts, apartment buildings, and parking lots
- Broken or uneven pavement, potholes, or loose gravel
- Inadequate indoor and outdoor property maintenance such as broken tiles, loose carpet, loose stairs, and broken handrails.
Types of slip and fall injuries
Slip and fall accidents can happen in shopping malls, grocery stores, hotels, parking lots, and residential properties. No matter where your slip and fall happens, you are at risk for serious injuries. Some of the most common include:
- Broken bones: Slip and fall accidents can cause broken bones due to the impact of the fall on the body. Common areas at risk are the ankle, wrists, arms, and legs.
- Cuts and abrasions: When someone falls, they can get cuts and abrasions from hitting the ground or objects around them.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI): A slip and fall accident can cause a traumatic brain injury (TBI), which occurs when the brain is injured by a blow or jolt to the head. In severe cases, TBI can be life-threatening. Remember, you don’t have to hit your head to suffer a TBI.
- Spinal injury: When a person falls and lands on their back, neck, or head, it can result in trauma to the spinal cord. The impact can compress or twist the spinal cord and lead to nerve damage. Depending on the severity, spinal injuries can result in partial or complete paralysis and other neurological complications.
- Hip fracture: Elderly adults and individuals with pre-existing medical conditions are particularly vulnerable to hip fractures. A fall can cause a person to land on their hip or twist it in an unnatural way, leading to a hip fracture.
- Neck or shoulder injury: When someone slips and falls, they may put their arms and hands out to try and catch themselves. This impact puts stress on the neck and shoulders and can cause strains, sprains, and even fractures.
What damages can I recover from a slip and fall?
Damages are the monetary losses that you have incurred as a result of your accident, and they can include a wide range of expenses, such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The amount of compensation you can recover from a slip and fall accident depends on several factors, including the severity of your injuries and the extent of negligence on the part of the property owner. In general, the average settlement for slip-and-fall cases in Virginia can range from a few thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
One of the primary damages that you can recover from a slip and fall accident is medical expenses. After suffering a slip and fall injury, you may need to undergo medical treatment such as surgery and physical therapy. Reoccurring doctor visits and other medical expenses can quickly add up, especially if you are unable to work due to your injuries.
In addition to medical expenses, you may also be entitled to recover lost wages if you are unable to work because of your injuries. This includes both past and future lost wages. You may also be entitled to recover damages for pain and suffering, which can include physical pain, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life especially if the injury has completely changed the course of your life.
How can a slip and fall lawyer help me?
If you have suffered a slip and fall accident due to the negligence of a third party, it's crucial to seek the assistance of an experienced slip and fall lawyer. A knowledgeable attorney can assist you in navigating the complex legal system and make sure you get the compensation you deserve. This includes conducting a thorough investigation of your accident, gathering evidence, negotiating with insurance companies, and representing you in court if required.
At Welch & Wright, PLLC, our mission is to stand by your side after a slip and fall accident and help you get back on your feet. We know that each case is unique, and we take the time to listen to your story and understand the impact of your injuries on your life. With a proven record of success, you can trust us to fight for the justice you deserve.
To learn more, contact us today. We handle slip and fall cases in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Newport News and throughout the Hampton Roads region.